The 12 Zodiac Signs are divided into 3 Qualities: Cardinal, Fixed and Mutable
- CARDINAL or GOAL-ORIENTED Aries, Cancer, Libra & Capricorn
Cardinal energy is energetic but can be impatient
- FIXED or CONTROLLED Taurus, Leo, Scorpio & Aquarius
Fixed energy is loyal but can be stubborn
- MUTABLE or FLEXIBLE Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius & Pisces
Mutable energy is adaptable but can be chaotic
The balance of qualities in your birth chart influences your energy and the way you express it. If there is an emphasis of one quality in your horoscope, you will take it for granted and use it without being aware that you are doing so. If you lack a quality or qualities, you will strive to compensate for their absence.
The qualities of the 12 zodiac signs can help you to understand:
- what type of profession or vocation you might be best suited to
- what kind of lifestyle you tend to be most comfortable with
- how to work with your natural energy flow and direct it effectively
- how ambitious, determined and adaptable you are
The 4 Cardinal Signs Aries, Cancer, Libra & Capricorn
CARDINAL or GOAL-ORIENTED – ARIES, CANCER, LIBRA & CAPRICORN
An emphasis on cardinal signs in your birth chart makes you naturally goal-oriented. You have plenty of motivation and it comes naturally to you to progress as fast and effectively as you can. But you tend to get impatient or disappointed if the results you wanted aren’t coming as quickly as you expected them to.
A lack of cardinal signs in your birth chart would make it hard for you to motivate yourself. The difficult bit for you is the initial launching of your ideas or getting started on your projects. You may also struggle with identifying goals.
FIXED or CONTROLLED – TAURUS, LEO, SCORPIO & AQUARIUS
An emphasis on fixed signs in your birth chart makes you strong, determined and very focused. Perseverance is no problem for you – on the contrary, it’s knowing when to call it a day that you find difficult. Letting go isn’t easy as you always wonder if there’s a stone somewhere that you’ve left un-turned.
A lack of fixed signs in your birth chart would make it difficult for you to plan for the long term, or to stay committed to your causes. Your progress may be defined by short term objectives or temporary measures and you might struggle in situations that call for a slower pace.
MUTABLE or FLEXIBLE GEMINI, VIRGO, SAGITTARIUS & PISCES
An emphasis on mutable signs in your birth chart makes you flexible and adaptable. You are great at multi-tasking and have no problem with changing to fit your circumstances. A tendency to spread yourself too thin means you may find it difficult to maintain your energy levels and stay focused on your goals.
A lack of mutable signs in your birth chart would make it difficult for you to adapt to changing circumstances. You tend not to make provision for unforeseen events so they take you by surprise and unsettle you. You may also struggle with seeing how to diversify from your current situation, lifestyle or methods of doing things.
Compatibility between the Qualities
Traditional Astrology used to believe that it would be difficult for signs of the same Quality to get on with one another. This view was based on what was judged to be hard or challenging patterns between the signs. In the days when astrology took a more fatalistic and less free will approach, angles of 90 or 180 degrees between two signs were seen as very challenging. Actually, signs of the same quality are likely to bring out the best in one another although there could be difficulties when their energies clash and turn confrontational.
- Two Cardinal Signs would share an enthusiasm for setting goals and the potential for encouraging one another to achieve their ambitions. Difficulties would arise when it came to deciding who should lead and who should follow within the relationship.
- Two Fixed Signs would share the same values when it came to loyalty and perseverance. Most difficulties within the relationship would be caused by stubborn pride and a reluctance to concede to the partner’s point of view.
- Two Mutable Signs would share the ability to adjust and adapt to changing circumstances. Difficulties would be caused by a lack of focus, or an inability to be clear about what both partners expected from the relationship.